Have you been considering a family Campervan holiday in Australia? Australia is known for its amazing camping infrastructure and awesome places to visit while on a holiday. If this is your first time, Melbourne is one of the best destinations to kick-start a campervan holiday with loved ones.
You can go for a short 5-day road trip of self-drive along the Great Ocean Road or if you are up for an adventure, go for a long hire and experience the “van life” to its fullest by renting a campervan in Melbourne and visiting the whole of Victoria. (Tip: The longer your rental is, the cheaper the rates will be) One can avoid the hassle of moving suitcases in and out of cars and hotels by hiring the right campervan in Australia. A campervan rental in Melbourne is also a budget-friendly way to travel as fresh produce is widely available in supermarkets and iconic markets like Queen Victoria Market. The well-equipped kitchen in the camper has all you need to cook hearty meals to share with your travel companions.
Wondering how to pick the right campervan for your family? Here are some tips to help you make the right decision:
Check the Vehicle Specs:A common mistake travellers make is not checking the vehicle transmission.
If you have an automatic-only driver’s license, ensure that you check the vehicle specs before booking.
Check Travel Restrictions:A 2WD campervan and motorhome can only travel on sealed bitumen roads.
If you are planning to visit the outback areas or go for some off-road driving, a 4WD camper
would be the best option for you.
Select the Right Campground:Australia is a beautiful country that is well equipped for campervan road trips. There are plenty of campgrounds and facilities such as dump stations around. Consider the following factors when you choose a campground:
- Do you need a powered site?
- Is the assigned lot big enough for your camper?
- Would you like a site with facilities such as swimming pools or communal BBQs?
Places to visit for Road Trips around Melbourne
1. Stevensons Falls
Just 2 hours southwest of Melbourne, Stevensons Falls is a free family-friendly camping spot for a relaxing time out. Explore great outdoors with plenty of facilities such as fireplaces, caravan access, picnic tables, and a lot more. It is situated near Upper Gellibrand Road, Barramunga.
2. Wye River Foreshore
Enjoy relaxing beaches and abundant wildlife at Wye River Foreshore at Great Ocean Road, which is just 2.5 hours’ drive from Melbourne. This quiet spot offers modern amenities like laundry, fridge, sitting area with tables and chairs, camp kitchen, and microwaves. Don’t forget to visit the pub nearby to have fun with your near and dear ones.
You can enjoy pristine beaches and enjoy a great hiking experience at Wilson’s Promontory National Park, which is located in Gippsland. Feel the sand between your toes and explore an array of native wildlife such as emus, wombats, kangaroos, and echidnas.
3. Wilson’s Promontory National Park
4. Mount Buffalo National Park Also known as the Australian Alps, Mount Buffalo National Park offers Victoria’s highest peak, beautiful vineyards, and excellent options for camping. You’ll be able to view more than 550 species of native plants here. Enjoy various adventures such as hiking, canoeing, cycling, rock climbing or hang gliding.
5. Marengo Holiday ParkIf you own pets and wish to take them along with you while on the vacation trip, this can be the perfect choice for you. Marengo Holiday Park allows pets and offers great comfort with a wide range of amenities like an enclosed kitchen, outdoor BBQ area, bathrooms, WIFI access, and a lot more.
A campervan rental in Melbourne is definitely one of the best ways to enjoy the beauty of Australia. Our team at AussieCampervans is 100% Australian based and we love to hit the road ourselves. Contact us
any time for vehicle recommendations, prices, or any road trip-related questions. We look forward to assisting with your campervan requirements.