Travel Tips

Road Rules in General

In Australia, we drive on the left-hand side of the road. The steering wheel is on the right-hand side of the car.

When driving on a multi-lane road, keep to the left-hand lane wherever possible. Move to the right to overtake and then move back to the left once it is safe to do so.

Strict drink driving rules apply in all states. Drivers may be stopped at random and required to give a breath test.

The driver and all passengers must use seatbelts at all times. Ensure that children are correctly secured.

You must carry a valid drivers licence at all times when driving, and you must show it to the police if requested to do so.

Using a hand-held mobile phone while driving is an offence. If you do need to make or take a call, pull over to the side of the road when safe to do so.

If you have an accident in which someone is killed or injured, it must be reported to the police at once or within 24 hours. In Western Australia all accidents must be reported to the police.

Speed Limits

In most States the maximum speed limit on freeways and major highways is 100kph and local urban limits range from 50 to 80 kph. In the Northern Territory there are highways that are free of any limits. All speed limits are clearly marked and all States operate sophisticated speed detection equipment including mobile and static speed cameras along with Red light cameras. Any fine incurred in Australia is the responsibility of the driver and should they be a foreign national the fine will be mailed to their home country address.

Driving at night

We recommend that you do not drive your motorhome or campervan at night outside of town centres or major cities. Wildlife, especially kangaroos, can be very dangerous on our roads particularly at sunrise and sunset. Sunrise and sunset is when animals are most active because they are looking for food. The most common animals that you could encounter on the Australian roads are: kangaroos, wallabies, cattle, emus, camels, wombats, echidnas, eagles and cockatoos.

Driving in the Outback

The most important thing to remember should you decide to go off Road?(off a sealed road) in the Outback is to seek local advice on your intended route as well as ensuring someone locally knows of your travel plans.

If your vehicle does break down in a remote area stay with it do not attempt to walk. Generally people who stay with their vehicles are located quickly and easily. Should you plan to go off road we suggest that you discuss your intended route with the rental company beforehand.

Any travel across designated Aboriginal Land will require permission from the owners beforehand. As the permit process varies from state to state (and can take up to 6 weeks to obtain) it is best to contact the national parkscontrolling body in each state prior to your journey.

Road Trains

A common sight in the Outback, particularly the Northern Territory , Queensland , South Australia and Western Australia , are road trains. These are multi trailer trucks up to 50 metres (170 feet) long. Always allow plenty of room as you pass in the opposite direction of a road train as the displaced air causes severe buffering. When overtaking a road train allow 1.5 kilometres of clear road.

Australian climate

As Australia is a large country our climate can vary greatly. We have put together the following table to outline the minimum and maximum temperatures in each city.

  • December
  • January
  • February

  • June
  • July
  • August

  • March
  • April
  • May

  • September
  • October
  • November

What is the Cost of Fuel?

Petrol (Gasoline) in Australia comes in unleaded and leaded grades, and is sold by the litre. Petrol and diesel fuel costs between $1.30 AUD and $1.40 AUD per litre and can be higher especially in country and remote outback areas.

Travelling Distances (Kilometres)

Australia is a large country so to enjoy your holiday, we recommend that you research your intended travelling route thoroughly, particularly your travelling distances. It is far better to travel at a leisurely pace and visit the many attractions of Australia rather than spend each day driving long distances. Aim to cover 150 - 250 kilometres per day and you will experience Australia in comfort

Visas, Customs and Quarantine

All travellers to Australia must carry a valid passport or similar acceptable travel document. All travellers except holders of Australian and New Zealand passports will need a visa to enter Australia.

A visa can be obtained from your nearest Australian high commission, embassy or consulate. New Zealand passport holders may apply for a visa on arrival in Australia .

The Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) which can be issued on the spot by a travel agent replaces the traditional visa and is becoming increasingly available through travel agents.

Every traveller may bring some goods intended as gifts duty/tax-free into Australia . Adults over 18 years of age may also bring alcoholic liquor and cigarettes or tobacco products duty/tax free. These articles must accompany you through Customs and must not be intended for commercial purposes. Also tourists visiting Australia for a limited period may bring most articles into the country duty/tax free, provided Customs is satisfied that they are for their own personal use and that they will be taken out of Australia on departure. For Customs duty/tax-free limits, please check this link

There is no limit on the amount of Australian and/or foreign cash that may be brought into or taken out of Australia . However, amounts of more than $A10,000, or equivalent in foreign currency, must be reported on arrival and departure.

On departure, overseas travellers may claim a refund of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Wine Equalisation Tax (WET) that they paid on goods bought in Australia after 1 July 2000. The refund on goods, costing $A300 or more, only applies to Items carried as hand luggage. Tourist Refund Scheme booths are located in the departure areas of international terminals after passport control, where travellers must show their passport, international boarding pass, tax invoice from the retailer and the goods. Customs officers process cash refunds and assist in completing non-cash payment options